Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do carpet stair treads protect my staircase?
Carpet stair treads are an effective, affordable way to protect your stairs from daily wear and tear. Carpet stair treads are placed on your stairs to protect your stairs from becoming worn out or scratched from day-to-day use. Your stairs get a lot of action. Unless you have an elevator in your house, your stairs are the only way you can get from the upstairs to the downstairs. Other carpeted areas of your house - the living room, your bedroom, etc. - simply don't get the traffic that your stairs get.
To protect your stairs, get some carpet stair treads. Carpet stair treads cover your stairs. They go right down the middle of the stairs because this is where your stairs receive the most traffic. Our carpet stair treads are made of wool, polypropylene, nylon, acrylic, polyester, sisal, seagrass, and/or various other materials. They come in different colors so you should be able to find something that matches your decorating style.
2. How do carpet stair treads protect my family?
The great benefit to using carpet stair treads is that they add traction to your stairs. When people are flying down the stairs, they can gain too much speed and trip or slip on the stairs. These treads add traction to prevent slipping.
Millions of people are injured each year from falls in the home, but you can help prevent them in your home by using carpet stair treads from Dean Flooring Company. Protect your family from dangerous falls and slip related injuries. Stair treads are one easy and inexpensive way to keep your family safe.
Carpet stair treads are a must in your home if you have children, elderly adults, or pets living with you, as these three groups have the greatest risk for fall related injuries. Dogs especially love our stair treads because they make navigating your staircase so much easier and more comfortable.
Many people overlook their stairs when they are making their homes safer. They install alarms and locks, buy treads for their bathtub, and put in smoke detectors. While these safety features are all important, protecting your family from falls is also important. We often take for granted that hand railing will keep everyone safe on the stairs, but this just isn't the case.
Stair treads provide a non-slippery surface on your stairs. Whether your stairs are ceramic, hardwood, laminate, or concrete, you can add additional protection to them with stair treads from Dean Flooring Company.
Installing carpet stair treads will help you keep your family and guests safe from unintentional falls. They are easy to install and will cost you less than fully carpeting your stairs or installing a traditional stair runner. Don't forget to make your stairs safer as you add safety items to other parts of your home.
3. How do carpet stair treads enhance my house?
No doubt that the hardwood staircase is a centerpiece in your house. This is what you see first when you enter the house. A hardwood staircase is considered as an upgrade, as well as granite countertop or hardwood floor, when you buy brand new house. People pay additional thousands of dollars to have a hardwood staircase versus carpeted stairs, because it is attractive, durable, classic, and increases a home's value.
However, there are disadvantages to hardwood stairs - they are very slippery and wear out. Fortunately, there is a great solution to this problem - stair treads! Give your stairs some personality and increase their safety with stylish and functional carpet stair treads. Your stairs will look great with the unique design and appearance of our carpet stair treads. They are available in very wide assortment of decorative designs and colors. Stair treads are an excellent alternative to stair runners and stair carpets and provide you with a great opportunity to represent your hardwood staircase in its most attractive form. Carpet stair treads do not cover the beauty of your hardwood staircase, they look very attractive next to wood stairs, and they accentuate and drag attention to it.
4. How many stair treads are included in one set?
The standard set includes 13 stair treads unless otherwise posted. Please contact us for custom quantities and sizes. We can do most anything.
5. What are the dimensions of the stair treads?
Our stair treads are available in various sizes. The standard length is 9 inches. Widths vary by style. If you don't see the size you are looking for in our store, we can usually customize a set to suit your needs. Just ask.
6. I do not need the whole set, can I buy just few pieces?
Again, just ask. Most of our styles can be sold individually, but occasionally, we can't break up the sets.
7. I have more than 13 steps, can I purchase additional pieces?
In most cases, the answer is yes. Please ask if you are not sure.
8. Can you please describe the color?
We will do our best if you ask, but generally speaking, a color is a personal perception and everybody sees colors differently. The pictures of our products are taken under different lighting conditions to better represent them. Please review carefully all available pictures on our website to determine the color match.
9. Do I need to buy any additional tools/supplies to install stair treads? Do I need a professional help to do it?
Probably not. The installation of our stair treads is very simple and can be done by most anybody with no experience!
10. What are the conditions of sale?
By purchasing our product you agree to all terms and conditions implied or stated on our website. Every set of stair treads or runner will arrive to you in new condition. By purchasing our product you agree to use this product in a proper and safe manner and properly install the product before using it.
11. Can I order stair treads in a custom size?
In most cases, the answer is yes, absolutely.
12. What is the width of the runner?
The widths vary from style to style.
13. I need 5-foot long runner. How do I calculate the cost of it?
The price of a runner is charged by the linear foot. Matching runners are available for most of our stair treads.
14. I cannot find matching runner for the model of the stair treads that I like. Can you tell me if it is available?
Not every model of stair treads has matching runners available.
15. I would like to know if the edges of the runner piece will be finished.
16. My steps have rounded bull nose. Will these stair treads work on them?
17. Can these stair treads be applied on carpeted steps?
Even though the original intention of these stair treads is to be applied onto hard surface (hardwood, laminate) to prevent slip and fall, many people use them on carpeted stairs. We have many customers who bought our stair treads to cover over used carpet on the stairs as it is too expensive to replace it or who wants to cover imperfections on it. If the carpet nap on your stairs is thick we recommend additional adhesive tape application, rug pad, and or staples.
18. Can I use these stair treads outside?
Only if your treads are advertised as being an inddor/outdoor or outdoor product.
19. Are these stair treads permanent or they can be easily removed if needed?
The stair treads are not permanent. You can easily remove them from the steps.
20. Does adhesive damage the hardwood finish when you remove these stair treads?
Some adhesive tapes may leave a residue that can usually be washed off. Please read the label carefully on the tape. Tape is available from many different manufacturers and suppliers. While we do not make any guarantees concerning double-sided carpet tape, our general experience is that it will not damage the finish of your stairs upon removal, but it may leave a sticky residue which cleans up easily with water or other non-abrasive cleaning products.
21. How well do these stair treads adhere to the steps? Will they move or slip from the steps?
The general intention of these stair treads is to prevent slipping and falling on stairs. Therefore, they are made to be securely attached to the steps. Please note that it is your responsibility to securely attach your carpet stair treads to your stairs for your safety. We will be happy to advise you to the best of our ability on how to do so. Just give us a call if you have any questions.
22. How much is the shipping cost?
Shipping costs vary, but we ship most items for free to the lower 48 states.
23. How long does it take to get the stair treads after placing an order?
We ship your order quickly, usually within 2-3 days unless otherwise notified. We usually ship via FedEx, which is a very fast courier.
24. Do you provide a faster shipping service? What are the options?
Please contact us for the rates and conditions if you need expedited shipping.
25. What are the payment options?
We accept payment by major Credit Cards, PayPal, and Certified Checks/Money Orders.
26. I noticed that your stair treads have different backing types. How do they affect adhesion?
The backing of the stair treads does not affect adhesion qualities. The stair treads attach to the steps by special double-sided self-adhesive tape.
27. Do you provide samples of your stair treads?
We will provide small swatches in the mail upon request.
28. I need 5-foot long runner. How do I calculate the cost of it?
Multiply the price per linear foot times the length of the runner.
29. I am planning to cover my staircase with a carpet runner. Do you provide installation instructions?
The professional contractor is required to install carpet runner on the staircase. The installation itself may cost from $300 - $600 depending on your staircase type. We do not specialize on stair runner's installation and cannot assist you in it. Therefore, we offer a great affordable alternative - do-it-yourself carpet stair treads.
30. How do I clean these stair treads?
To clean stair treads simply vacuum them and use any regular carpet cleaning product for spot cleaning. Some outdoor varieties can be hosed off. Those items marked as washable may be hand washed or machine washed on delicate and hung to dry.
31. What is your contact information?
You can contact us by phone at 1-800-616-8808. If we do not immediately answer your call, please leave us a message and we will call you back as soon as possible. You may also contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
32. What are your business hours?
Our normal business hours are M-F 8:30-5:00 Eastern.
33. What if I need to return an item? What is your return policy and how do I return my package?
Please send your returns to: Dean Flooring Company, 3056 N. Dug Gap Rd. SW, Dalton, GA 30720. Please send your package via FedEx or UPS. We do not have a U.S. mail receptacle at our facility. You will be required to pay the return shipping costs. We accept returns within 30 days of your purchase date. There is a 15% restocking fee for returns, however, there is no penalty for exchanges. Please include your original packing slip or order ID# with your return along with any relevant instructions. We will issue your refund as soon as we receive your returned merchandise provided that it has not been used or damaged. We do not accept returns of used product, custom cut product, or carpet stair treads with rug pads attached, unless sold as a single item unit.
34. Why do you charge a restocking fee for returns?
We charge a 15 percent restocking fee on returns because each set of stair treads is custom made especially for you and packaged upon the placement of your order. Significant expense goes into preparing your order, and our hope is that you will choose to keep your stair treads and use them for many years to come.
35. Do you ship to Canada?
Yes, we ship via FedEx to Canada.
36. How do I wash my "washable" stair treads?
Some or our stair treads have a washable non-skid rubber backing and are marked on our website as being washable. Please follow these washing instructions for our washable stair treads: Hand wash or machine wash on gentle/delicate cycle in cold water and line dry only.
37. How do I install my carpet stair treads?
There are a variety of methods that you can use to install your carpet stair treads. Most people use double-sided carpet tape, but you can also use Velcro, staples, tacks, or glue if you prefer. Because this is a Do-It-Yourself product, you are responsible for attaching your stair treads to your stairs securely for your safety. If you choose to use our double-sided carpet tape for installation, please follow these instructions:
Preparing the Stairs
- Before you begin to install carpet on the stairs, you must first remove any old flooring on them. Remove any old carpet padding and throw it away; do not try to reuse the padding. Sweep the stairs off, clean them well, and if any adhesive was used on them, remove it. Allow the stairs to dry completely before starting any installation.
Installing the Treads
- Using double-sided or double-faced carpet tape (either included or bought or sold separately), stick your carpet stair treads to your stairs. Use a measuring tape to ensure that each tread is centered and aligned equally to your preference. Most people like for wood to show on all four sides of the tread. Simply peel off one side of the protective covering from your tape and stick the tape on your stair treads. Then peel off the protective covering from the other side of the tape and stick your treads on your stairs. We suggest applying tape around all four sides of your treads. Please press down on the edges of your treads after you place them on the wood to secure the adhesive. It’s that easy!
38. Do I need or should I use rug pads under my carpet stair treads?
Dean Flooring Company is now offering non-skid rug pad for use under our carpet stair treads. This pad is recommended for use with stair treads that come with actionbac or woven backing to provide extra padding, slip-resistance, and stability. The rug pads must be attached to your carpet stair treads and we recommend that the treads and pads then be secured to your stairs for maximum safety. We will gladly attach your rug pads to your carpet stair treads upon request when purchased separately. Please note, however that doing so creates a custom, non-returnable item.